Friday, December 4, 2009

Winter Blues


Now it is December. The 4th to be exact. Time marches on at a pace that is gradually picking up speed. I am aware of the relentless march of time in no small part by the fact that my kids are quickly becoming adults. Three young men 24, 20 and 17. One off in the world, one in college, and the youngest finishing high school and applying to colleges. Where does the time go? My mind is fuzzy the further back you go. We found a photo of my father-in-law some 20 years ago in a garden with my wife and son. I'm pretty sure I am the photographer, but I can't remember the occasion or identify the location. 20 years is a long time, a whole generation. Just a hundred years ago, I would be at the end of my time here on earth, assuming mine is an average sort of life. Heck, my father's father died at 51.

But my dad is rewriting the book on aging. He is 90 and going pretty strong. So I may actually have another 30 or 40 years in me. Anyway, looking at those smiling boys, and I can't help but smile myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment